When you are trying to lose weight one of the hardest things to do is stay motivated. We dive into this challenge head first and are able to stay afloat for a little while before we have trouble staying above water. As creatures of habit it takes us a while to get out of our comfort zone and adopt new habits. Since I’ve gone down this road and still struggle to keep myself motivated here are a few tips that always help me:
- Change into your gym clothes as soon as you come home from work. Don’t sit down to put your feet up or start working on dinner until you have changed. This works as a constant reminder that you have to take at least 30 minutes out of your evening to get in some exercise and you won’t shower or eat until you do so.
- Join a class or get a personal trainer so there's someone to hold you accountable. Joining a class is a personal favorite of mine. Since the classes are timed there is no escape until it is over. Getting a personal trainer or working out with a buddy will have a similar benefit. Someone will always be holding you accountable thus forcing you to show up and showing up is half the battle.
- Challenge yourself to more difficult exercises or heavier weights. Initially this may seem hard and may get you down a little but push through it. In a matter of days you will see how quickly your body is able to adapt. The happiness that comes from conquering the challenge is unmatched.
- Don’t constantly check your weight and set yourself up to be demoralized. You won’t lose the weight over night and checking over and over again will have no positive effects. If you are weight lifting you may actually see your weight go up a little since your building muscle and muscle weighs more than fat. Weigh yourself only at the beginning of your journey and than again at 30 or 60 days.
- Start your day with a positive quote. The psychological effects of positive messages are so great that it can be all the motivation you need to get your workout in. Have a mantra if you don’t have time to read quotes. That way you can always have something in your mind that you can repeat back to yourself.
the Doctors @ Aepios